7.25.2005

10. Wilco :: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

I remember the first time I heard of Wilco. My dad accidentally had bought a copy of Being There, but neither of us liked it very much. At the time, I think I thought it "too soft". Then when Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was being downloaded like mad in 2001, it was being recommended heavily by a message board I frequented. So, I happened upon a copy of A.M. in Goodwill and picked it. Still "too soft" for me at the time. But, when I continued to read more of the reviews of this album and see it make many 2002 Top Album lists all over, I really wanted to hear it. Even on the initial listen I was enjoying it. Tweedy's earnest delivery along with engaging musical experimentation was refreshing, and fit in with my taste in R.E.M. and Radiohead. Since then, I have gone back and listened to the Wilco discography, and I really enjoy even their more "alt-country" sounds. I think their entire output shows that really Wilco doesn't fit in with any one sound, but have explored roots rock, country sounds, experimentation, indie pop and rock, etc and come out with consistently good material. After watching I Am Trying to Break Your Heart I have an even greater appreciation for this album, and what it represents. To me, it shows that good music doesn't need to be promoted via the typical channels of MTV, radio, record company promoters or other corporate entities. If it is truly good, people will buy it. The band will sell records. People will support what the band does because they believe in them. I believe in Wilco.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home