8.02.2005

7. Sigur Rós :: ( )

It starts with the packaging. A regular cd case is covered in an opaque white sleeve, with a cut out for the ( ). Inside and outside there are no track names, info on band members, screaming fans pictures, shout outs, or even a credit. Instead, illustrations containing leaves and plants overlap one another on tracing paper in the inner booklet. Even before I listened to this album, I am quite taken with the concept. To start with, all eight songs are titled Untitled 1-8. Next, Jonsi decides he will sing the whole album in his made up "hopelandic". I guess I didn't understand Icelandic on the previous albums, so it wouldn't seem to matter that much. But because of this, the vocals are treated more as another instrument to convey a mood or idea. The first few tracks start out slow, but the amazing crescendos later in the songs make listening all the more worthwhile. Untitled 4 is a standout, the drums at the beginning really setting the song apart from the first three tracks (which rather meld together). I like to sing along in a weird sort of mumbling impression of Jonsi's amazing vocals. A thirty second pause at the end of this track cleaves the album in half. The second half of the album less lighthearted and more haunting. Each track ending with more building, more excitement. Untitled 8 is a standout, and it gets my vote for "Best Songs of All Time". Tension and anticipation build throughout the entire song, until 9:26, everything breaks loose, and we are lost in other world of bright light and noise (a little over the top, I know). I never thought I would be opening advocating twelve minute songs, but Sigur Rós are worth my time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home